The Department of Culinary Arts at WGSHA was established in 2011 and it offers a 3-year degree program in Culinary Arts. The support of ITC and Manipal Academy of Higher Education drives this program for aspiring culinary professionals.
The program covers:
- Culinary Skill Foundation
- Baking and Patisserie
- Indian Cuisine and Culture
- Food and Wine Harmony
- Food and Sociology & Anthropology
- Food Entrepreneurship and Small Business Projects
- Global Cuisine and Gastronomy
- Food Styling and presentation and Research Methodology.
The programs are designed to help DCA students prepare for professional careers in the international culinary industry, patisserie & baking, and the food service industry. Each student of DCA receives a comprehensive, challenging training in classic culinary techniques combined with modern innovations.
- Indian cuisine and culture
- Cuisines of Asia
- Global cuisine and gastronomy
- Food photography and food writing
- Food sociology and anthropology
- Advanced patisserie techniques
- Indian contemporary cuisine
- Modern events and banquets management
- Garde-manger food styling and presentation
- Conference and culinary management
BA in Culinary Arts is a joint collaboration between the ITC Hotels, and Manipal Academy of Higher Education.
- George Brown College (GBC), Toronto, Canada: Under the partnership, both the universities will offer postsecondary programs in culinary arts and provide students an opportunity for dual qualification – a diploma (Diploma in Culinary Management) from GBC and a 3-year degree (BA Culinary Arts) from Manipal Academy of Higher Education. The students have two years of study at Manipal and one year at GBC
- International Sommelier Guild: The students undergo training and certification from ISG, as part of the curriculum while pursuing their first-year program.
The Department of Culinary Arts, WGSHA offers the following program:
Research & Publications
The areas of research include Indian cuisine and culture, Culinary tourism, Future cuisine and Healthy cuisine
The Kitchen is the place where WGSHA students hone their cooking skills
The Hotel gives them practical experience of the hospitality industry
It is my life’s greatest gift to have been educated in WGSHA, Manipal. I love the structure, faculty and all the facilities provided to nurture our talent.
Celebrity Chef, Michelin Star, Judge- MasterChef India – StarPlus, Host – Twist of Taste – Coastal Curries-FOX Traveller
WGSHA has been the core foundation of my formative years and harnessed my inherent passion for the service industry. It is an extension of my true identity.
Area Manager South, ITC Hotels & General Manager ITC Grand Chola - A Luxury Collection Hotel
WGSHA provided excellent exposure to the industry, supported by a rigorous academic curriculum. The diverse campus gave us all the confidence to go out.
Celebrity Chef and Culinary Consultant Judge – Chopped; Only Indian Chef competing in Iron Chef
My experience in Manipal created greater insight into the hospitality industry & laid the foundation for my professional career as a chef.
Hari Prasad Nayak
Chef, Restaurateur, Author and Indian Food and Culinary Consultant